If you haven’t ever caught the train down to Brighton to eat fish & chips on the pier, 2016 is definitely the year to do it. Because TripAdvisor has announced the world’s leading destinations for 2016, according to feedback from millions of TripAdvisor travellers – and Brighton has been named sixth trendiest holiday spot on the planet.
Top spot was claimed by the somewhat sunnier and arguably slightly more glamorous resort town of Tulum, Mexico. Other trending destinations include Cartagena, Colombia, and its Caribbean beaches, and Portugal’s second largest city, Porto.
And while you might struggle to justify a trip a two-week holiday in Mexico this summer, there’s really no excuse for failing to make it down south in the next 12 months. If you haven’t been, it’s time to tick Brighton off your bucket and spade list. Start planning your 2016 summer hols now.
Global travellers’ choice destinations on the rise in 2016
1. Tulum, Mexico (+74% booking interest YoY) Las Palmas Maya, £92 per night
2. Cartagena, Colombia (+49% booking interest YoY) San Lazaro Art Lifestyle Hotel, £87 per night
3. Porto, Portugal (+39% booking interest YoY) Moov Hotel Porto Centro, £36 per night
4. Gatlinburg,Tennessee (+67% booking interest YoY) Zoders Inn & Suites, £74 per night
5. Moscow, Russia (+27% booking interest YoY) Mercure Moscow Baumanskaya, £46 per night
6. Brighton, United Kingdom (+60% booking interest YoY) Artist Residence Brighton, £123 per night
7. New Delhi, India (+28% booking interest YoY) bloomrooms @ Link Rd, £38 per night
8.Banff, Canada (+43% booking interest YoY) Rundlestone Lodge, £104 per night
9. Lima, Peru (+33% booking interest YoY) Hotel Vila Santa Miraflores, £51 per night
10. Foz do Iguacu, Brazil (+34% booking interest YoY)