Today we start the run up to Christmas with a number of vegetarian recipes from the Vegetarian Society. I will release two every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Pea and Spinach Soup with Beetroot Swirl
A silky, goodness-packed soup that looks really festive.
Preparation: 5 mins
Cooking: 30 mins
Vegan, Gluten-free, Wheat-free, Nut-free
For the soup:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small potato (around 130g), peeled and chopped
- 1250ml vegan vegetable stock*
- 100g frozen peas
- 150g frozen spinach
- Salt and pepper
For the beetroot swirl:
- 1 cooked beetroot
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Soya cream (optional)
- In a large pan, gently fry the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and potato. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. While the soup cooks, put the ingredients for the beetroot swirl into a blender and blend until smooth. Set the finished swirl aside and rinse the jug of the blender thoroughly.
- Add the peas and spinach to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Let the soup cool for a few moments, then blend until smooth. Season to taste, reheat if necessary and serve in warm bowls with a swirl of the beetroot mixture and soya cream if desired.
Note: Will keep for three days in the fridge. Can be frozen for up to three months.
*Vegan and Gluten-free stock is available in most supermarkets.
Energy: 146 kcals Protein: 4.9g Carbohydrate: 16g Of which sugars: 8.6g Fat: 5.4g Of which saturates: 0.8g Fibre: 5.7g Salt: 2g
Visit vegsoc.org/christmas to find the recipes for these fabulous Festive Flavours. Plus there are tips on storing and freezing these dishes so you can be prepared. Or if you prefer to hang-up your apron and take the weight off your feet at Christmas then you’ll be able to get the low down on the favourite ready-made veggie products available in the shops this Christmas.