We continue the run up to Christmas with a variety of vegetarian recipes from the Vegetarian Society. I will release two every week on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I would also like to post pictures of the result – so if you make this recipe send me the pictures of your results and I will post on each page (I will do the same).
Today I bring you….
Fruit and Nut Salad with Chilli and Lime
A vibrant, crunchy salad that’s light enough to start a festive meal.
Preparation: 10 mins
Vegan, Gluten-free, Wheat-free
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- ½ tsp soy sauce*
- 1 lime, juiced
For the salad:
- 100g of your favourite salad leaves (we like lamb’s lettuce, rocket or chicory)
- 160g Cauldron marinated tofu pieces
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 carrot, cut into ribbons or fine strips
- ¼ red onion, sliced very thinly
- ½ cucumber, halved length ways, watery centre discarded, peeled into ribbons
- 50g mixed seeds (such as pumpkin or sunflower)
- 50g mixed nuts (such as cashews or peanuts), roughly chopped
- A few fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- To make the salad dressing, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk together using a fork. Whisk again just before serving.
- To serve, divide the leaves between four plates, top with the tofu and add the rest of the salad ingredients, finishing with the seeds and nuts.
- Just before serving, drizzle a little dressing over each salad and scatter with the coriander.
*Gluten-free soy sauce is available in most supermarkets.
Energy: 328 kcals Protein: 14g Carbohydrate: 15.2g Of which sugars: 12.2g Fat: 22g Of which saturates: 3.4g Fibre: 4g Salt: 0.8g
Visit vegsoc.org/christmas to find the recipes for these fabulous Festive Flavours. Plus there are tips on storing and freezing these dishes so you can be prepared. Or if you prefer to hang-up your apron and take the weight off your feet at Christmas then you’ll be able to get the low down on the favourite ready-made veggie products available in the shops this Christmas.